Sunday, February 15, 2009

CAREER NEWS

I am starting a new job tomorrow. After 14 years in stem cell transplant and 2 years in ifectious diseases I am making a big change. I will still be employeed by MD Anderson Cancer Center and will still work on research projects but rather than to coordinate the trials I will manage the area that audits the National Cancer Institute's multi center clinical trials. These trials are conducted all over the world and MD Anderson is the lead center on the trials. I am excited that the new position will include travel (both domestic and international). I know already that one of my big sites will be in Italy. I know as some people near retirement they sort of kick back and coast across the finish line but that just isn't me. I still feel the need to grow and learn and be challenged. I love meeting new people and doing new things so I am excited about this change. Having said that I also know that change is hard (even if it is good change). I am about to have to learn a new area, new duties, new people, a new physical environment, and a very different approach to research. I expect to feel the stress of adjusting to all of this. The one thing that I am very clear about is that I will always do something that will contribute to improved knowledge and treatment of cancer. I am very devoted to the cause. I am fortunate that I chose a career that I believe is my calling at a young age and have been blessed to be a part of some projects that have been significant advances in my field. Some 20 years go MD Anderson gave Greg another chance at life and I will forever feel the need to give back to that great system. So here I go on a new adventure...

2 comments:

Cynthia Clemmons said...

Hello Marilyn

I finally got google account so I can comment on yall blog & others.

Your new adventure sounds awesome & yes I'm sure adjusting might have its days.

Aaron had told me Greg survived Cancer & that is so wonderful & for you to be blessed to be called into the field. Wow

Always remember take care of yourself, family & have fun which I know you do.
Have a blessed day
Cyndi Clemmons

NesrstaFamily said...

Congratulations! You really deserve that job and I know you will do great. I am so happy for you!